Friday, May 27, 2011

Flashback Friday - Reflections

Indulge me for a brief moment [errr... post. whichever you prefer] as I reflect on post graduate life. If you have been reading for a while, you will know that I graduated from college a year ago this month. If you haven't been reading for a while, I just told you everything that you need to know. This past year has been hard. I've struggled with my job. I've struggled with being away from my friends. I've struggled with more than I had bargained for.

But it is all good struggling.

It was necessary for me to grow up in many ways. Being flung into the real world is more shocking and unexpected than most people would like to admit. Perhaps the hardest bit to grasp onto is the whole "working forty hours plus some" a week. I've done the whole full time working thing before. But not like this. I always had it split up between multiple jobs. That way I could bounce from place to place and not feel like I was continually doing the same thing. I worked mostly with people in food service and I nannied. And I was good at both. I'm a people person. I know how to throw a huge smile on my face and actually care about others even if they are just walking through my Starbucks for five minutes.

The job I have now I am not very good at. Which was a slap in the face. I knew that I would have a lot to learn. But not this much. I knew I would struggle with enjoying a desk a job. But not this much. For months I would sit at my desk and feel weighted down by everything expected of me and all the things that I didn't understand at this job. My attitude was slipping.

But it was good to struggle.

I cannot say that I am perfect at my job now by any stretch of the imagination. But I am catching on. I have changed the way I view my work, and that helps with attitude.

I certainly still have rough days. But they are are getting better.

So what pictures would I attach to something as morose as this?

Summers will never be the same now that I am employed full time. As my mother said, "The only way you get summers back is to have kids and be a stay at home mom."

Thanks Mom.

So, since I will never swim on a swim team again:



Nor will I ever be this tan again [my sister will always be pale as a vampire though!]:

Here's to the glorious summers that I did enjoy! Complete with swimming at the pool 24/7 and riding my bike to 7/11.

Adult summers are going to be wonderful as well if I have anything to do with it.

Here's to adventures with friends on nights and weekends. Cold Sangria. Ice Cream downtown. Weddings.

Bring it on.

4 comments:

  1. Oh this post is brimming with nostalgia and excitement. I loved reading it. And never say never, you may be on a swim team again one day. Life is full of surprises!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should follow our blog. www.perpetualfrenzy.blogspot.com

    Love this post, brings back old memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute pics :)

    katslovefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the name of your blog~makes me feel nostalgic. I can totally relate to this post btw, it's definitely a transition after graduating...

    ReplyDelete