Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Cake Disaster of 2011 - Part One

I have never claimed to be an architect. I've never even read a book on architecture. But I have read a few cookbooks in my time. And I really like cake. Chocolate cake to be exact. The other day I was in a restaurant and ordered flourless chocolate cake and a diet coke. The waitress looked at me square in the face and laughed while sputtering out, "Diet Coke?" Lady, that is one of the best combinations in the world! Don't mock me for wanting a drink with no calories coupled with a cake with a lot of calories. Don't do it. Then I shoved my face in the cake like Bruce Bogtrotter from Matilda and ate the entire thing while the waitress looked on and gasped at my bad manners [at least that was what I was envisioning in my head where all good plans are accomplished].

Last week while stumbling around the blog world I found this recipe for a Toasted Marshmallow Cake. It is made with buttermilk chocolate cake and has marshmallows in the middle. Could I honestly pass up making this cake in all its glory? Heck no. Was I really equipped to take on this baking feat with a tall cake? Not really. I'm not a proficient baker, nor am I am architect. However, I did not dwell on my incompetence or inadequicies. Instead I strove blindly ahead on a Friday night by whipping up two of the layers of my grandeous cake.

After they came out of the oven I decided that two layers just wouldn't be enough, so I made two more.

It was quite obvious at this point that I didn't know what was to be ahead in my cake making. Look at me, my hair is down, I'm wearing a scarf, I have a look of indifference on my face. What is this? I also didn't mention that there was about two hours inbetween the making of the first batch of batter and the second batch. The reason for this? My parents were watching a movie and didn't want the blender on. So I watched the Departed for two hours and then went back to cake baking around nine thirty give or take.

Thoroughly prepared [or so i thought, cue Jaws theme music] I set about making the filling for this cake. It involved a lot of butter. A lot of butter. And it involved fluff and marshmallows.

I popped a tray of marshmallows in the oven to broil them so they would have that smokey campfire taste to them without the bear maulings and renditions of Kumbaya.

Then I whipped all the ingredients together to make one tasty and very sticky [think a vat of marshmallow fluff combined with honey... except there is no actual honey in the recipe] batch of toasted marshmallow filling.

At this point it was nearly ten thirty at night. Not too bad. Yet, I was up till at least twelve thirty making this beast. And the disaster hadn't even occurred yet! Well, two of my cakes did kind of fall apart when coming out of the pan. I do believe that was the start of my problems.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment